Friday 25 January 2008

What happened next...

Hi everybody. Here's what happened after 1999. :)

As I wrote before, I wasn't satisfied with the Valeyard's portryal in the PDA Matrix and I wanted to do something about it. I remembered at the GallifreyOne convention that there would be new audios from Big Finish Productions, and I looked into them. At the time, the company stated that they had some interest in bringing back the Valeyard, and in early 2000 they also announced an open story submission policy.

So I decided to write a story with the 7th Doctor and Ace, which I eventually called The Seventh Door. This was an audio which would have featured that TARDIS team, Gallifrey, the Matrix, Romana, Vansell, the Keeper of the Matrix and ... the Hand of Omega. Yes, I had set it up that the Valeyard was unknowingly Omega who had survived Arc of Infinity but in a multi-regenerative delirium believed that he was a future Doctor. (And this is 4 years before the audio Omega where something similar actually happens-no suspicions intended of course. :) )To tie this home, I would have also featured the 5th Doctor and Peri and the 6th Doctor and Evelyn in cameoes.

The whole story revolved around how the 7th Door is stolen and the Doctor is blamed, but the Valeyard is ultimately to blame and his Omega identity is revealed to all, but exposure to the Hand gives him a new matter body, and he escapes into the cosmos ...

Looking back, the story was a little silly and continuity-laden, but I put my effort into it and it was a joy to script. I sent this off to Big Finish in the summer and waited. On September 2, 2000, I received my first rejection slip. I was crushed, but I accepted the decision. However, I also refused to let that be the end ot it. :)

I decided immediately after to come up with another Valeyard story, but with a difference: instead of causing continuity problems with making another 7th Doctor/Valeyard story, I felt that the Doctor who actually faced him on screen deserved a re-match. My thoughts turned to the 6th Doctor and Mel, thoughts which brought into contact with one Craig Hinton...